Civil War 1 - major concept reviewAfter reading the engaging Brinkley Chapter 14, complete this fill in the blank exercise. Type the correct response into each blank. One of the questions has an arrow for the blank. Click on the arrow and select the correct answer choice. Please complete the activity until earning at least 90%25.
1. The New York draft riot turned especially ugly when angry crowds lynched _#_.
SouthCarolina, South Carolina, southcarolina, south carolina, South carolina, Southcarolina, , ,
2. Former Dred Scott opinion writer Roger Brooke __#__ opposed Lincoln%27s limitations on civil liberties during the Civil War.
Buchanan, buchanan, , ,
3. James _#_ was the lame duck president who was in office when secession began in 1860.
Virginia, , crossword maker ,
4. _#__ was the first state to secede from the Union after the 1860 presidential election.
Milligan, , ,
5. The United States government tightened up finances by enforcing the use of one__#__ by the entire nation during the Civil War.
Taney, , ,
6. The _#_ Proclamation only freed slaves in states and/or areas which were under Confederate control.
Emancipation, , ,
7. The _#__ Compromise was an attempt to avoid the Civil War by re-establishing the 36, 30 line for all future territorial acquisitions. However, the Republicans were not willing to allow the expansion of slavery under this measure.
lower class white women, African American residents, Irish political leaders, the mayor%27s police escort,
8. Fire _#__ were strong states%27 rights activists who supported secession in 1861.
currency, , ,
9. Despite the fact that both sides started __#__ to increase the size of their armies, the hiring of a substitute to serve in an individual%27s place was an accepted practice.
drafts, , ,
10. The Supreme Court repudiated some wartime decisions of the Union government within the ex parte __#__case.
Crittenden, , ,