Chapter 61. After a partition on a hard disk drive is formatted with a filesystem, all partitions on that hard disk drive must use the same filesystem. True or False?
TRUE, FALSE, ,
2. You find that a device file in the /dev directory has become corrupted. You know that this device is /dev/tty3 and that it is a character device file. What should you do?
cat /etc/fstab, ls -l /etc/fstab , cat /etc/mtab, ls -l /etc/fstab,
3. What does the du /var command do?
Mount the two hard drives so they are accessible by the operating system., Format any partitions created with a valid filesystem recognized by Linux., Use the fdisk command to create one or more partitions on each of the hard disk drives, Mount any partitions created on the two hard drives such that they are accessible by the operating system.,
4. Which command is used to display the amount of free space that exists on a filesystem?
none, as fsck must be run manually for each filesystem, /, /dev/pts and /dev/shm, /, /proc and swap, all of them, as fsck is run automatically at boot for all filesystems,
5. Hard disk drives need to be partitioned even if all space on the entire hard drive will be used and configured with one filesystem. True or False?
Nothing; the files are lost and cannot ever be accessed., Nothing; the files could not have been there as you can only mount to empty directories., Unmount the device from the directory., Run the fsck command to recover the file,
6. Which command mounts all existing filesystems in /etc/fstab?
fsck, quota, du, df,
7. A user runs the fsck command with the -a option on a filesystem that is showing signs of corruption. How would that user locate any files the system was unable to repair?
Run the fsck command with the -u option to automatically unmount the filesystem first., Choose yes when warned that running fsck on a mounted filesystem can cause damage., Unmount the filesystem., Ensure that the filesystem is mounted.,
8. What happens if you type mount /mnt/floppy?
TRUE, FALSE, ,
9. If the filesystem type is not specified with the mkfs command, it _________________.
shows the users connected to the /var directory, shows the size of all directories within the /var directory online quizzes , dumps the /var directory, displays the amount of free space in the /var directory,
10. 5. Given the following output from /etc/fstab, which filesystems will be automatically checked on boot by the fsck command? LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 1 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 1 none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 1 0 /dev/hdc2 swap swap defaults 0 1 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0 /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
backs up an ext2 filesystem, displays the number of inodes used and available in an ext2 filesystem, dumps an ext2 filesystem, is not a valid command,
11. Character devices typically transfer data more quickly than block devices. True or False?
The floppy drive cable has come loose., There is no floppy disk in the drive. save time , The device file has become corrupt., The floppy drive is seen as a character device.,
12. You want to see the filesystems that are presently in use on the system. What command could you use?
Quotas can only limit user space., Quotas can only limit the number of files a user can own., Quotas can limit both user space and the number of files a user can own.stimulate your students , Hard limits can never be exceeded.,
13. What does the command dumpe2fs –h do?
Hard limits allow a user to exceed them for a certain period of time., Soft limits can never be exceeded., Soft limits allow a user to exceed them for a certain period of time., Either a hard limit or a soft limit can be set, but not both concurrently.,
14. What must you do to successfully run the fsck command on a filesystem?
prompts the user for the filesystem to use, displays a help screen detailing its usage , uses the ext3 filesystem by default, uses the ext2 filesystem by default,
15. Jim has just purchased two new SCSI hard disk drives and a controller card for them. He properly installs the hardware in his machine. Before he can use them for data storage and retrieval, what must he do? (Choose all that apply.)
has no inode section, has no data section , has no size, displays a major and minor number in place of a file size,
16. Which of the following statements are true? (Choose all that apply.)
TRUE, FALSE, ,
17. The first floppy drive on the system is not responding. You enter the file /dev/fd0 command and receive the following output. What is the problem? [root@server1 root]# file /dev/fd0 /dev/fd0: ASCII text [root@server1 root]#
The system responds with a message prompting for more information., The system responds with a message that the command failed due to missing parameters. web tool , The command succeeds because a line with the necessary parameters exists in /etc/fstab., The command succeeds because a line with the necessary parameters exists in /etc/mtab.,
18. A device file _______________________. (Choose all that apply.)
mount -f, mount -a, mount /etc/fstab, mount /etc/mtab,
19. Which of the following statements are true? (Choose all that apply.)
Look in the root of the filesystem., The system prompts the user for a target location when it comes across a file it cannot repair., Mount the filesystem and check the lost%2bfound directory underneath the mount point., View the contents of the directory /lost%2bfound.,
20. Which command is used to format a partition on a hard disk drive?
format, none, because the hard disk drive and not the partition must be formatted, mkfs -t type device crossword maker , makeFS –type device,