Chapter 41. A user typed in the command pwd and saw the output: /home/jim/sales/pending. How could that user navigate to the /home/jim directory?
TRUE, FALSE, ,
2. If resume is the name of a file in the home directory off the root of the filesystem and your present working directory is home, what is the relative name for the file named resume?
Home/resume, c:myfolder esume, resume, /home/resume,
3. A special device file is used to ___________.
enable proprietary custom-built devices to work with Linux, represent hardware devices such as hard disk drives and ports, keep a list of device settings specific to each individual user, do nothing in Linux,
4. How can a user switch from insert mode to command mode when using the vi editor?
cd .., cd /home/mary/etc, cd etc, cd /etc,
5. Which command would a user type on the command line to find out what directory in the directory tree he is currently in?
It is a binary file, It is a system file., It is a file in the current directory., It is a hidden file.,
6. Linux has only one root directory per directory tree. True or False?
It is a hidden file., It is a linked file., It is a special device file., It is an executable file.,
7. A directory is a type of file. True or False?
a. text, b. command, c. input, e. insert,
8. If a user’s current directory is /home/mary/project1, which command could she use to move to the etc directory directly under the root?
TRUE, FALSE, ,
9. Using wildcard metacharacters, how can you indicate a character that is NOT an a or b or c or d?
text, strings, od, less,
10. What will the following wildcard regular expression return: file[a-c]?
Press the Ctrl%2bAlt%2bDel keys simultaneously, Press the Del key., Type in a : character., Press the Esc key.,
11. Which of the following is an absolute pathname? (Choose all that apply.)
a. /home/resume, b. /resume, c. resume, d. home esume,
12. What will typing q! at the : prompt in command mode do when using the vi editor?
filea-c, filea, filec, filea, fileb, filec, fileabc,
13. The vi editor can function in which two of the following modes? (Choose both that apply.)
quit as no changes were made, quit after saving any changes invite students , nothing as the ! is a metacharacter, quit without saving any changes,
14. 16. The tac command _________.
the first line of the file mary, the header for the file mary, the first 20 lines of the file mary, the first 10 lines of the file mary,
15. A user types in the command head /letter/mary. What will be displayed to the terminal screen?
is not a valid Linux command, displays the contents of hidden files , displays the contents of a file in reverse order last word on the line first and first word on the line last, displays the contents of a file in reverse order last line first and first line last,
16. After typing the ls –a command, you notice that there is a file whose filename begins with a dot ( . ). What does this mean?
Precede the string with a /., Follow the string with a . results history , Precede the string with a $., Precede the string with a ^.,
17. After typing the ls –F command, you notice a filename that ends with an * asterisk character. What does this mean?
TRUE, FALSE, ,
18. The less command offers less functionality than the more command. True or False?
[^abcd], not [a-d], [!a-d], !a-d,
19. Which command searches for and displays any text contents of a binary file?
cd .., cd /jim, cd ../.., cd ./.,