Figurative Language1. which of the following is an example of a metaphor?
The buzz of the bees created a sleepy melody., Six Snakes slithered silently., Button your lip., The setting sun was a glowing peach hovering in the sky.
2. I found him in the library, buried in a book. This is a form of ________.
simile, onomatopoeia, idiom, alliteration
3. Which of the following is an example of an idiom?
It%27s time to hit the road., The giant%27s breath was like a putrid fog., The blackberry bush grabbed at my jacket., I%27ve told you over and over to clean your room.
4. Two tired turtles napped on the tarmac. This is a form of ___________.
hyperbole, alliteration, metaphor, personification
5. Which of the following is an example of alliteration?
I am so tired I could sleep for two weeks., My mom says she has laugh lines., The frequent fliers were furiously fuming., I ordered jumbo shrimp at the resaurant.
6. Ants are like soldiers, marching in formation. This is an example of _________.
simile, oxymoron, onomatopoeia, idiom
7. Which of the following is an example of a simile?
The wind whipped my hair around and around., My brother is like a tornado, whipping through the house., You are driving me up the wall!, The clock yelled at everyone to get up.
8. The whoosh of the wind through the open window blew my papers off my desk. This is a form of _______.
simile, repetition, onomatopoeia, oxymoron
9. Which of the following is an example of onomatopoeia?
I drifted off to sleep listening to the soft plip, plip of the raindrops., My teacher told me to walk quickly to the office., A backyard is an enormous rainforest to bugs., It%27s time to hit the books.
10. I thought and thought, but I just couldn%27t remember the answer. This is a form of _______
simile, idiom, repetition, personification
11. Which of the following is an example of repetition?
We went to sing for the senior citizens., During the night I heard wolves howl again and again at the moon., Worms wriggled wildly on the hooks., I%27m as happy as a dog with two tails!
12. The sad clowns were my favorites at the circus. This is a form of _________.
alliteration, simile, hyperbole, oxymoron
13. Which of the following is an example of an oxymoron?
The panther unsheathed his velvet claws., You are a lucky duck., Your room is a pigsty!, The shadows danced along the wall.
14. When I looked in my fishbowl, the fish were all swimming upside down. This is a form of _________.
onomatopoeia help students assimilate material , alliteration educational games , euphemism, simile
15. learning Which of the following is an example of a euphemism?
Stars are diamonds twinkling brilliantly in a velvet sky., I love sweet and sour pickles., My teacher is height challenged., Please pick up your purple pants.
16. build your own quiz The wind grabbed my kite and threw it into the air. This is a form of ________.
personification, hyperbole, metaphor, alliteration
17. Which of the following is an example of personification?
He is an open book., I heard the soft scritch of claws at my window., The wind whistled around the chimney., It%27s so cold, even the polar bears have to wear jackets.
18. I have so much work to do you should just call me %22Cinderella.%22 This is a form of ________
simile, oxymoron, hyperbole, alliteration
19. Which of the following is an example of a hyperbole?
My mind is a sponge, soaking up knowledge., When I couldn%27t sleep, the night dragged on forever. teaching , Clip-clop went the horses hooves on the road., A smart fool knows when he is wrong, but doesn%27t admit it.