GEPT Vocabulary Intermediate angel to applaudAuthor: Hsu Yuanbin
Keywords: , , , , , , online teaching
1. Each year on the _____ of Martin Luther King Jr.%27s birth, America has the opportunity to reflect on nation%27s progress towards the realization of his dream.
2. This year marks the 100th _____ of Albert Einstein%27s special theory of relativity and the 50th _____ of his death.
3. Steve Jobs, Apple%27s former CEO, made a public appearance in March to _____ a new iPad.
4. Everyone is _____ for summer, and the seniors are _____ to graduate.
5. That%27s the duty of the old, to be anxious on behalf of the young. And the duty of the young is to scorn the _____ of the old.
6. At the minute one%27s getting _____, one must eat and one must sleep. Eating and sleeping are the two vital elements for a healthy life.
7. I was sent to a school because my father was already aware that his days were numbered, and he was _____ for me to acquire a good education and follow in his footsteps.
8. We _____, we mimic, we mock. We act.
9. Chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans are all _____.
10. Man, as we know him, is a poor creature; he is halfway between an _____ and a god and he is travelling in the right direction.
11. I have an _____ to make to you – I opened your letter by mistake.
12. I _____ if anybody was offended by anything I said.
13. I want to _____ to all of the people I have let down because of my behavior which has reflected badly on my family, friends, co-workers, business associates and others.
14. He pulled out his cell phone, an _____ attempt to call 911.
15. The _____ lack of communication within the Chinese government may help explain why it was so difficult to secure agreement on the proposal.
16. A child%27s appetite for new toys _____ to the desire for ownership: the _____ of toys comes to lie not in their use but in their status as possessions.
A) apologizes, apology
B) applauds, applaud
C) announces, announcement
D) appeals, appeal
17. From the time I was a little boy I found myself reading history when I had a choice. I read a lot of things, but history had a special _____ for me.
18. Blood supplies are running low, and the Red Cross is _____ for blood donations.
B) to appeal
19. Most cookbooks are replete with photographs to increase the interest in the _____.
20. For the symptoms of depression, you may be tired, lose your _____, and lose weight.
21. I _____ your courage in making the decision to quit your long-hated job.
22. If an _____ and its two included sides are given, the area is where C is the given _____ and A and B are its includedsides.
A) angle, angle
B) apology, apology
C) announcement, announcement
D) anxiety, anxiety