Unit 3 ReviewAuthor: Whittaker Tracy
Keywords: usii, wwi, spanish american war, , , , online teaching
1. The event that MOST IMMEDIATELY occurred before the outbreak of the Spanish American War was:#
A) American acquisition of Florida
B) Mistreatment of Cubans by Spain
C) Sinking of the U.S.S. Maine
D) Occupation of Cuba by General Wood%27s Rough Riders
2. Which of the following were major causes of the Spanish American War? Choose more than one.
A) US Business Interests in Cuba
B) Independence of Cuba
C) sinking of the USS Maine
D) Yellow Journalism
3. Which Asian country was annexed by the U.S. in 1898 as a result of the Spanish-American War?
D) South Korea
4. %22Speak softly and carry a big stick and you will go far,%22 was the motto of #
A) William Howard Taft
B) Woodrow Wilson
C) Theodore Roosevelt
D) Secretary of State John Hay
5. A direct result of the Spanish American War was the #
A) Establishment of a colonial empire by the United States
B) Rivalry between the United States and Russia
C) Annexation of Cuba by the United States
D) Involvement of the United States in World War I
6. Which of the following are reasons for the Spanish America War? Choose more than one.
A) Sinking of the U.S.S.Maine
B) Mistreatment of Cubans by Spanish General Valeriano Weyler
C) Yellow Journalist newspapers that were owned by Hearst and Pulitzer
D) Attack by the Spanish in Hawaii
7. By 1900, the United States had overseas possessions in all these areas: Choose more than one.
B) Puerto Rico
8. Imperialism refers to #
A) control of a stronger nation over a weaker nation
B) a policy followed by European nation when they divided Africa up in the last half of the nineteenth century
C) the establishment of colonies by a nation
D) All of the above
9. Which of the following Spanish possessions did the United States acquire as a result of the Spanish American War?
B) Puerto Rico
10. Which of the following was NOT a reason for the Spanish American War?
A) Protection of American business interest in Cuba
B) American support of Cuban rebels to gain independence from Spain
C) Rising tensions as a result of the sinking of the U.S.S. Maine in Havana Harbor
D) Election of Teddy Roosevelt as U.S. President
11. The Spanish American war started a result of the sinking of the U.S.S._______ in Havana Harbor.
A) U.S.S. Maine
B) U.S.S. Lusitania
C) U.S.S. Woodrow
D) U.S.S. Roosevelt
12. Political and economic ties to # led to United States involvement in World War I?
A) Great Britain
13. Which countries were Allies to the United States in WWI?
A) Finland, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Uganda, Romania, Ghana,
B) Great Britain, France, Russia, Serbia, Belguim
C) Germany, France, Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria
D) Germany, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, Ottoman Empire
14. What event started WWI?
A) The sinking of the Lusitania
B) The assaisination of Archduke Ferdinand
C) Germany wanted to expand its borders and take over Europe
D) The German U-Boats declaring war on American ships
15. Which countries were part of the Central Powers during WWI?
A) Germany, Austria-Hungary, Bulgaria, and the Ottoman Empire
B) Great Britain, France, Russia, Serbia, and Belgium
C) Great Britain, Austin, Bolivia, and Turkey
D) Germany, Australia, Belgium, and the Ottoman Empire
16. When did World War I begin and end?
A) 1914 to 1918
B) 1914 to 1920
C) 1914 to 1917
D) 1917 to 1919
17. The treaty of # ended World War I.
C) World War I
18. Why did the United States finally enter the war?
A) sinking of the Maine; congress declared it; needed to show our world power
B) sinking of the Lusitania;inability to remain neutral; Zimmerman telegram, ties to Great Britain
C) nationalism; alliance; militarilism; imperialism
D) yellow journalism created a public outcry, bombing of U.S.S. battleships, german u-boats were torpedoed
19. What were the Rough Riders, and who was the leader of the Rough Riders?
A) rough necks that helped in the Spanish American War; Pres. McKinley
B) cowboy volunteers that fought in Spanish American War;Teddy Roosevelt
C) rodeo riders that spied for WWI; Teddy Roosevelt
D) German U-boats that were nicknamed Rough Riders: Woodrow Wilson