To view this page you need to install Adobe Flash Player
ProbabilityAuthor: Sturdivant Victoria
Keywords: , , , , , , online teaching
1. 10 appetizers, 15 main courses, but we forgot our drink choices of which there are 8. How many possibilities are there now?
2. You are given a 10 question multiple choice test (a,b,c,d). How many possible answer keys would there be?
3. What about telephone numbers? 10 digit numbers (xxx-xxx-xxxx) however for the first digit of the area code and local code cannot contain 0 or 1.
4. You need to arrange 7 books on a shelf. How many ways are there to do this?
5. 13 players on a baseball team and you need 9 for the batting line-up. How many batting orders can you form?
6. You want to choose 3 officers from a club of 20 members; President, Secretary and Treasurer. How many ways can the positions be filled?
C) 2.43 x 10^18
7. How many ways can the letters of the word MISSISSIPPI be rearranged?
8. How many distinct ways can the letters of the word OSMOSIS be rearranged?
9. A three person committee is needed to study ways of improving public transportation. How many committees could be formed from an 8 person board?
10. How many 4-card hands can be dealt from a 16 card deck?
11. A zoo has six male bears and seven female bears. You want to exchange 5 bears, 2 male and 3 females with another zoo. How many collections are possible?
12. Baskin-Robbins offers 31 different flavors of ice cream. One items involves a bowl of three scoops of ice cream, each a different flavor. How many bowls are possible?
A) permutation, order matters
B) combination, order does not matter
C) permutation, order does not matter
D) combination, order matters
13. What is P(A^c) if P(A) = 1.12?
C) probability of A not happening.
D) not possible, P(A) must be between 0 and 1
14. If P(B)= .34 and P(A)=.75 what is the P(A and B)?
B) not possible because .34 and .75 have a sum greater than 1
C) .09 since they add to one and you get more.