Tense, Active and Passive VoiceAuthor: Sandrine Dejeans
Description: Test your knowledge of grammar (tense, active and passive voice) based on the text about %22Halloween%22 we saw in class.
Fill in the gap with the right tense and voice.
After submitting your answers, you will see how well you have done in the test.
Some information about grammar use will be available.
Keywords: , , , , , , online teaching
1. It # originally a pagan holiday, honoring the dead.
B) was been
2. Halloween # to as All Hallows Eve and dates back to over 2000 years ago.
A) was referred
C) is referred
3. All Hallows Eve is the evening before All Saints Day, which # by Christians to convert pagans, and is celebrated on November 1st.
A) is created
B) has been created
C) was created
4. The Catholic church # saints on this designated day.
B) would honored
C) was honored
5. While there are many versions of the origins and old customs of Halloween, some # consistent by all accounts.
C) were remained
6. Different cultures # Halloween somewhat differently but traditional Halloween practices remain the same.
B) were viewed
7. Halloween culture # back to the Druids, a Celtic culture in Ireland, Britain and Northern Europe.
A) can trace
B) can be traced
C) can traced
8. Roots lay in the feast of Samhain, which # annually on October 31st to honor the dead.
9. Samhain # %22summers end%22 or November.
A) is signified
10. Samhain # a harvest festival with huge sacred bonfires, marking the end of the Celtic year and beginning of a new one.
11. Many of the practices involved in this celebration # on superstition.
A) were fed
12. The Celts believed the souls of the dead # the streets and villages at night.
C) is roamed
13. Since not all spirits # to be friendly, gifts and treats were left out to pacify the evil and ensure next years crops would be plentiful.
A) had thought
C) were thought
14. This custom # into trick-or-treating.
C) is evolved