To view this page you need to install Adobe Flash Player
American ImperialismAuthor: Cozzy the Swagnificent Adam
Description: Drag the description or characteristic to its proper category. When you are wrong you are docked points.
Keywords: Broadneck, Mr. DeCosmo, American Imperialism, , , , online teaching
1. Spanish American War
2. Philippine American War
3. Justifications for an Empire
4. Anti-Imperialist Justifications
0. Spread Christianity
1. Platt Amend.=U.S. control of Cuba%27s foreign policy
2. Alfred Mahan%27s The Influence of Sea Power Upon History
3. International Darwinism
4. U.S. must win this war to springboard trade to China
5. Nationalism/Jingoism = empire=pride in one%27s countr
6. Yellow Journalists embellished attack on U.S.
7. Whitemans Burden: civilize %26 christianize
8. 4 year war against former allies of Span.Amer. War
9. General Aguindaldo led revolt against once ally U.S.
10. U.S. must liberate %26 protect American plantations in cuba
11. Explosion of USS Maine
12. Reconcentration of Cuban revolutionries, 100,000 dead
13. Promised independence to Cubans after the war
14. U.S. placed its enemies in concentration camps
15. Teddy Roosevelt%27s Rough Rider volunteer regiment
16. New Markets for American manufactured goods
17. Led to transportation need for the Panama Canal
18. Most casualties died of Disease i.e. malaria
19. U.S. = hypocrits b/c it protects civil liberties
20. Cheap labor %26 raw materials
21. More land = higher taxes to protect protectorates/colonie
22. U.S.promised independence for help against Spanish
23. Spread democracy %26 empire building does not work
24. Aid from Filipino, Emiliano Aguinaldo to help U.S.
25. feared flood of %22uncivilized%22 ethnic immigrants to U.S.
26. Gov%27t money better spent on Progressive laws at home
27. Territories might request statehood %26 representation
28. Former allies Lost war for independence against U.S.
29. U.S. must compete w/ European imperialist nations
30. Diverts attention away from gov%27ts responsibility at home
31. Expand or Explode Theory: overpopuation, surplus, etc.