Greece Unit ReviewAuthor: Siler Brandy
Keywords: polis, hoplite, sparta, athens, Alexander the Great, , online teaching
1. Ideas/skills Mycenaeans borrowed/stole from Minoans
2. How did the ancient Minoans earn their wealth?
4. Why did many Greeks colonize nearby lands?
6. From what group did the Greeks learn to make an alphabet?
7. requirements for citizenship in early Greek city-states
10. What is a colony?
11. Who were the Mycenaeans
12. What did hoplites carry into battle?
13. What caused decline of Mycenaean civiliization?
14. Five ways ancient Greeks typically earned a living
15. How did geography contribute to Greek identity?
0. Greek term for city-state (like a tiny, independent country)
1. A settlement in a new territory that keeps close ties to its homeland
2. 9-foot spear (dory), sword (xiphon), shield (hoplon)
3. There was a food shortage because of fast rising population
4. free, native-born MEN who owned property
5. citizen soldier (like militia instead of professional soldiers)
6. main gathering place in city-state; fortified hill with temples
7. trade in the Mediterranean
9. Earthquakes and fighting lead to poverty %26 a dark age in Greece.
10. bronze work, shipbuilding, navigating, trade, even goddess
11. Originally from central Asia, these people invaded Minoans
12. open area which served as a marketplace %26 area for debates
13. fishing, sailing, trading, farming, raising livestock
14. the island that Minoans were from
15. mountains %26 waterways kept people separate - loyal to polis