Greece Unit ReviewAuthor: Siler Brandy
Keywords: polis, hoplite, sparta, athens, Alexander the Great, , online teaching
0. Why did many Greeks colonize nearby lands?
1. Five ways ancient Greeks typically earned a living
2. Ideas/skills Mycenaeans borrowed/stole from Minoans
5. What caused decline of Mycenaean civiliization?
6. requirements for citizenship in early Greek city-states
7. How did geography contribute to Greek identity?
9. What did hoplites carry into battle?
10. From what group did the Greeks learn to make an alphabet?
11. Who were the Mycenaeans
12. What is a colony?
13. How did the ancient Minoans earn their wealth?
0. citizen soldier (like militia instead of professional soldiers)
1. Earthquakes and fighting lead to poverty %26 a dark age in Greece.
2. Greek term for city-state (like a tiny, independent country)
3. main gathering place in city-state; fortified hill with temples
4. 9-foot spear (dory), sword (xiphon), shield (hoplon)
5. mountains %26 waterways kept people separate - loyal to polis
6. trade in the Mediterranean
7. open area which served as a marketplace %26 area for debates
8. free, native-born MEN who owned property
9. Originally from central Asia, these people invaded Minoans
10. There was a food shortage because of fast rising population
12. bronze work, shipbuilding, navigating, trade, even goddess
13. A settlement in a new territory that keeps close ties to its homeland
14. fishing, sailing, trading, farming, raising livestock
15. the island that Minoans were from