Greece Unit ReviewAuthor: Siler Brandy
Keywords: polis, hoplite, sparta, athens, Alexander the Great, , online teaching
0. Why did many Greeks colonize nearby lands?
1. How did geography contribute to Greek identity?
3. From what group did the Greeks learn to make an alphabet?
6. What did hoplites carry into battle?
7. What is a colony?
8. Five ways ancient Greeks typically earned a living
9. requirements for citizenship in early Greek city-states
10. How did the ancient Minoans earn their wealth?
11. Who were the Mycenaeans
13. What caused decline of Mycenaean civiliization?
14. Ideas/skills Mycenaeans borrowed/stole from Minoans
0. Originally from central Asia, these people invaded Minoans
1. free, native-born MEN who owned property
2. 9-foot spear (dory), sword (xiphon), shield (hoplon)
3. mountains %26 waterways kept people separate - loyal to polis
4. Earthquakes and fighting lead to poverty %26 a dark age in Greece.
6. trade in the Mediterranean
7. There was a food shortage because of fast rising population
8. Greek term for city-state (like a tiny, independent country)
9. bronze work, shipbuilding, navigating, trade, even goddess
10. A settlement in a new territory that keeps close ties to its homeland
11. fishing, sailing, trading, farming, raising livestock
12. main gathering place in city-state; fortified hill with temples
13. the island that Minoans were from
14. citizen soldier (like militia instead of professional soldiers)
15. open area which served as a marketplace %26 area for debates