Greece Unit ReviewAuthor: Siler Brandy
Keywords: polis, hoplite, sparta, athens, Alexander the Great, , online teaching
0. Why did many Greeks colonize nearby lands?
1. What did hoplites carry into battle?
3. What caused decline of Mycenaean civiliization?
4. What is a colony?
5. Five ways ancient Greeks typically earned a living
8. requirements for citizenship in early Greek city-states
10. How did geography contribute to Greek identity?
11. From what group did the Greeks learn to make an alphabet?
12. Who were the Mycenaeans
14. Ideas/skills Mycenaeans borrowed/stole from Minoans
15. How did the ancient Minoans earn their wealth?
0. Greek term for city-state (like a tiny, independent country)
1. the island that Minoans were from
2. trade in the Mediterranean
3. bronze work, shipbuilding, navigating, trade, even goddess
4. main gathering place in city-state; fortified hill with temples
5. citizen soldier (like militia instead of professional soldiers)
6. Originally from central Asia, these people invaded Minoans
8. free, native-born MEN who owned property
9. 9-foot spear (dory), sword (xiphon), shield (hoplon)
10. There was a food shortage because of fast rising population
11. open area which served as a marketplace %26 area for debates
12. A settlement in a new territory that keeps close ties to its homeland
13. Earthquakes and fighting lead to poverty %26 a dark age in Greece.
14. fishing, sailing, trading, farming, raising livestock
15. mountains %26 waterways kept people separate - loyal to polis