Greece Unit ReviewAuthor: Siler Brandy
Keywords: polis, hoplite, sparta, athens, Alexander the Great, , online teaching
0. How did geography contribute to Greek identity?
1. What is a colony?
4. requirements for citizenship in early Greek city-states
5. From what group did the Greeks learn to make an alphabet?
6. How did the ancient Minoans earn their wealth?
8. Ideas/skills Mycenaeans borrowed/stole from Minoans
10. Why did many Greeks colonize nearby lands?
11. Five ways ancient Greeks typically earned a living
12. Who were the Mycenaeans
13. What did hoplites carry into battle?
14. What caused decline of Mycenaean civiliization?
0. 9-foot spear (dory), sword (xiphon), shield (hoplon)
1. Greek term for city-state (like a tiny, independent country)
2. citizen soldier (like militia instead of professional soldiers)
3. Earthquakes and fighting lead to poverty %26 a dark age in Greece.
4. mountains %26 waterways kept people separate - loyal to polis
5. bronze work, shipbuilding, navigating, trade, even goddess
6. A settlement in a new territory that keeps close ties to its homeland
8. open area which served as a marketplace %26 area for debates
9. Originally from central Asia, these people invaded Minoans
10. free, native-born MEN who owned property
11. trade in the Mediterranean
12. fishing, sailing, trading, farming, raising livestock
13. main gathering place in city-state; fortified hill with temples
14. the island that Minoans were from
15. There was a food shortage because of fast rising population