Greece Unit ReviewAuthor: Siler Brandy
Keywords: polis, hoplite, sparta, athens, Alexander the Great, , online teaching
0. From what group did the Greeks learn to make an alphabet?
1. Five ways ancient Greeks typically earned a living
4. Why did many Greeks colonize nearby lands?
5. How did geography contribute to Greek identity?
6. What did hoplites carry into battle?
8. Who were the Mycenaeans
10. How did the ancient Minoans earn their wealth?
12. Ideas/skills Mycenaeans borrowed/stole from Minoans
13. What caused decline of Mycenaean civiliization?
14. requirements for citizenship in early Greek city-states
15. What is a colony?
0. 9-foot spear (dory), sword (xiphon), shield (hoplon)
1. the island that Minoans were from
2. main gathering place in city-state; fortified hill with temples
3. bronze work, shipbuilding, navigating, trade, even goddess
4. open area which served as a marketplace %26 area for debates
5. A settlement in a new territory that keeps close ties to its homeland
6. Originally from central Asia, these people invaded Minoans
7. trade in the Mediterranean
9. citizen soldier (like militia instead of professional soldiers)
10. mountains %26 waterways kept people separate - loyal to polis
11. free, native-born MEN who owned property
12. fishing, sailing, trading, farming, raising livestock
13. There was a food shortage because of fast rising population
14. Earthquakes and fighting lead to poverty %26 a dark age in Greece.
15. Greek term for city-state (like a tiny, independent country)