Greece Unit ReviewAuthor: Siler Brandy
Keywords: polis, hoplite, sparta, athens, Alexander the Great, , online teaching
0. From what group did the Greeks learn to make an alphabet?
2. How did geography contribute to Greek identity?
3. What caused decline of Mycenaean civiliization?
4. What is a colony?
5. requirements for citizenship in early Greek city-states
6. What did hoplites carry into battle?
8. Who were the Mycenaeans
12. Why did many Greeks colonize nearby lands?
13. Five ways ancient Greeks typically earned a living
14. Ideas/skills Mycenaeans borrowed/stole from Minoans
15. How did the ancient Minoans earn their wealth?
0. open area which served as a marketplace %26 area for debates
1. Greek term for city-state (like a tiny, independent country)
2. trade in the Mediterranean
3. bronze work, shipbuilding, navigating, trade, even goddess
5. There was a food shortage because of fast rising population
6. Earthquakes and fighting lead to poverty %26 a dark age in Greece.
7. free, native-born MEN who owned property
8. main gathering place in city-state; fortified hill with temples
9. the island that Minoans were from
10. Originally from central Asia, these people invaded Minoans
11. mountains %26 waterways kept people separate - loyal to polis
12. 9-foot spear (dory), sword (xiphon), shield (hoplon)
13. fishing, sailing, trading, farming, raising livestock
14. A settlement in a new territory that keeps close ties to its homeland
15. citizen soldier (like militia instead of professional soldiers)