Greece Unit ReviewAuthor: Siler Brandy
Keywords: polis, hoplite, sparta, athens, Alexander the Great, , online teaching
3. Ideas/skills Mycenaeans borrowed/stole from Minoans
4. Five ways ancient Greeks typically earned a living
5. What is a colony?
8. From what group did the Greeks learn to make an alphabet?
9. What did hoplites carry into battle?
10. Who were the Mycenaeans
11. How did the ancient Minoans earn their wealth?
12. Why did many Greeks colonize nearby lands?
13. requirements for citizenship in early Greek city-states
14. What caused decline of Mycenaean civiliization?
15. How did geography contribute to Greek identity?
0. the island that Minoans were from
1. open area which served as a marketplace %26 area for debates
2. Greek term for city-state (like a tiny, independent country)
3. There was a food shortage because of fast rising population
4. fishing, sailing, trading, farming, raising livestock
5. citizen soldier (like militia instead of professional soldiers)
6. mountains %26 waterways kept people separate - loyal to polis
7. trade in the Mediterranean
8. free, native-born MEN who owned property
10. A settlement in a new territory that keeps close ties to its homeland
11. Originally from central Asia, these people invaded Minoans
12. Earthquakes and fighting lead to poverty %26 a dark age in Greece.
13. 9-foot spear (dory), sword (xiphon), shield (hoplon)
14. bronze work, shipbuilding, navigating, trade, even goddess
15. main gathering place in city-state; fortified hill with temples